Since the goal of SciFlow is a writing process that allows you to focus on producing text and rich content while automatically assuming the formating process of each document, there are two ways of interacting with the editor:
- Editing the core running text, including text elements like figures, tables, equations, and citations—made accessible through the formatbar.
- Using meta functions like choosing the format and citation style, inviting and working with collaborators, and creating a reference library—made accessible through the sidebar.
For further information on specific topics, we embedded the links to articles that will discuss each issue in more detail.
The format bar is located on the top of the screen and enables the editing of the running text. Only new chapters are added outside the format bar, which is explained below. Moving forward, you find an accumulation of all available functionalities and a link to further information if at hand.
1. bold 7. enumeration 13. tables
2. italic 8. indent 14. equations
3. superscript 9. outdent 15. hyperlink
4. subscript 10. footnotes 16. undo
5. block quoting 11. citing 17. redo
6. listing 12. figures 18. special characters
19. page break
If the icon is grey, it can't be used under the current cursor position. For example, you can not add a picture while writing inside of a heading.
Adding New Chapters
New Chapters are added directly in the editor via the [+] buttons that appear between every existing chapter. Within these chapters, you can also create a variety of subheadings through the icons next to a paragraph.
The sidebar is located on the right-hand side of the screen and addresses all settings and functionalities above the generic editing of running text. Below you find an overview of all available options with embedded links to more narrow articles.
- Document Outline - This menu lists all headings, figures, tables, and equations chronologically and allows for easy cross-referencing.
- Authors - Invite new authors, assign roles, and manage all currently participating collaborators.
- Comments - Used to overview all comments posted within the current document.
- Reference Library - Upload and use your references via drag and drop citing.
- Templates/Export - Export your document with the format settings of a chosen template or assign a new one.
To enter or exit these sidebar menus, a click on the desired icon either opens or closes them.
This icon will open the chat that allows you to get in contact with our support team, whenever your having problems or feel like you have suggestions to improve SciFlow, drop us a line. We are thankful for every kind of feedback.